For full pdf of newsletter, click here:
As I sit here brainstorming about how to "Green Up Your Holidays," I can't help but think of how not eco-friendly the season can be: racing from mall to mall for the perfect gift, creating extravagent home light displays, and of course, the wrapping paper! A.K.A. Green (http://www.akagreen.com/), a green home store in Scottsdale, has come up with some suggestions to help inspire environmental responsibility this holiday season.
- Try LED Holiday Lights for indoors and out. They're energy-efficient, longer lasting, and sure beat the tangled mess of ancient strings of lights we have crammed in storage!
- Grow-A-Note holiday cards are 100% recycled, printed with soy ink, and wow, have wildflower seeds embedded in them so you can actually plant these cards!
- Xeko card games for kids teach children about the environment, endangered species, and exotic locales. They also have stuffed animal charcters made from soysilk.
- Do something different. Give loved ones an adopted plot of rainforest (about $50 per acre, http://www.nature.org/), or a picture frame made from recycled bike chains (http://www.greenfeet.com/). Just keep the earth in mind!
- Check out www.tempe-listings.com for local green vendors that can help you green-up your home, your yard, and your life.
Need Ideas for New Year's Resolutions?
- Paper, not plastic! Plastic shopping bags are not recyclable in Tempe. Plus, grocers like Sunflower Market will pay you to reuse paper bags. Or better yet, pick up a cloth shopping bag.
- Go LED: Pick up some LED lightbulbs at your next hardware shop stop. They are pretty inexpensive, long-lasting, and energy efficient.
- Take cold showers... maybe when summer rolls around.
- Grocery shopping? Buy local and in season. Flying exotic produce around the planet uses a lot of fossil fuels, so keep it national, or keep it very local.
- Bus, bike, walk, carpool, or light-rail around town! Visit http://www.valleymetro.org/ for fare info, carpool matching services, schedules, and more!
Have a happy holiday season from all of us at The Walsh Team.